Friday, February 22, 2008

Airports are Multicultural Chaos

I'm sitting in the airport in Musoma waiting to go to Arusia and climb Mt. Meru. The airport is ridiculously small. There's only one gate, Gate 2; I think the 2 is intended to make themselves feel bigger. The runway is dirt, and it's in the middle of the town.

Security consists of a man digging through everyone's stuff. When the man went through my bag (the flap was in my way, so I couldn't see in) he hesitated at an item and was like "what is this?" I looked in and said, "tampons;" which satisfied him, but I'm not sure if he understood or just got the "you don't want more details" vibes. Then an Asian guy that had been hitting on me in the security line (it was like 9 am, and he was asking if he could pick me up when I return next week) also started pulling stuff out of a suitcase. It was actually Karen's stethoscope, and she got a bit defensive. He had played all buddy buddy with the security man and got behind the table with him.

Then, when we came in the waiting room, the Asian guy (who told me he was going to Dar, which is right on the ocean) decided to pack a fresh fish to take with him. They put it in a sack, two plastic bags, a box, and roped it up. I just don't quite understand.

I can hear the airplane outside, or maybe saying "right behind me" describes it better than saying "outside."

No comments: